My Special Spot - Activity
Back yards, front yards, balconies and 'nose to the glass' window perches are wonderful places in connect and develop intimate relationships with nature.
The benefits of sits spots have been discussed by many. Read "You Don't Have To Go Far To Benefit From Nature: How to Have A Sit Spot:" from the Association of Nature & Forest Therapy Guides & Therapy for a through and articulate conversation on the value of time spend in nature.
Here are some of my favourite sit spot activities:
1. Bring a nature journal - write down all the things you see, hear, smell, taste, feel.
2. Visit your spot multiple time over the course of a day, week, month, year
a) note the differences you sense
b) this is especially amazing in the spring when lots of things are changing rapidly
3. Take a nature nap in your place
4. Go there at night and listen. How do the sounds change?
5. Go in the rain.
6. Go in the sun.
7. Ask someone to time you and tell you when time is up.
8. Make a sit spot journal.
9 Used the internet or guide books to ID all the plants and animals from your spot.
10. Most of the time, leave the phone at home. But take a picture or video of your spot to share with others.
11. Create a photo journal of your spot. (take a picture then turn the phone off)
12. Create a piece of art in your spot
13. Create a piece of art in your spot using only materials you find in your spot
14. Spend the night in your spot.
15. Eat a meal in your spot.
Any other ideas, post them in the comments.